People think if you work from home you spend the day:
- Watching daytime TV
- Chatting to friends on the phone
- Am available 24/7 for shopping trips, lunch dates and general fun with anyone who asks
- Life is one long weekend!
- Can take holidays all the time as don’t need to clear it with the boss!
- Will one day get a real job
What actually happens:
- What’s daytime TV?
- Friends know if they call on weekdays including evenings I am working and often don’t answer the phone! Texting is better but will respond in a break that suits me!
- I do have the odd lunch with the girls (like maybe once a month, like today in fact) but I add the 2 hours out of the office onto the end of my day.
- Every day is a work day! I only take Saturdays off!
- If I plan a holiday (what holiday?) I have to work twice as hard to make sure I earn enough to have the time off and while I’m on holiday I still have to do some work and respond to emails!
- THIS IS A REAL JOB!!!
Welcome to my writerly life! And I LOVE it!!!